Strollers: A Parent’s Guide on Traveling with Double Strollers
Traveling with one child has its challenges, but traveling with two? Just imagining a flight with two babies is enough to send a parent into a panic. Sometimes, you even wonder if you are taking a vacation to get more stressed out.
So, what should a stressed-out parent do when planning a vacation? When you have two young children, you will need double everything. Things like baby bags, luggage, car seats, strollers, and more are all necessities, but the best thing a parent could do is simplify.
These days, there are hacks to just about everything. Thanks to technology for easy access to information, you can easily make your travel plans less complicated. One good tip is booking a car service with car seats, like Kidmoto, to pick you up at the airport. Another is to bring double strollers.
This article will give you a helpful guide on what is, why, and how to travel with double strollers. This way, you can double your fun on your travels!
Why Double Strollers?
If you are traveling with two young children, especially a baby and toddler, bringing a double stroller is necessary. A double stroller lets parents transport two kids conveniently and comfortably, especially when traveling.
One downside to buying double strollers is that they can be pricier than single strollers. However, most parents of multiple children choose them over single strollers because of several reasons:
- Double strollers are convenient. Even if one parent is alone with the kids, a double stroller allows that parent easily manage things. Strapped in one stroller, parents find it easier to keep track of both kids while shopping, taking a walk, or running errands.
- Double strollers are a safer option than two single strollers. Double strollers ensure that both your kids are within sight at tall times. And they have safety buckles and wheel locks to secure your children. The adjustable roofs also protect your kids from harsh weather conditions.
- There is more space for storage in a double stroller, making it a great option when traveling or shopping.
- Double strollers are durable, and it has longevity. A child can ride on it until they are four or five years old, depending on the stroller.
- If you are on a budget, purchasing a double stroller is less expensive than two single strollers.
- Since double strollers are collapsible and foldable, they are great for bringing along during family getaways.
How to Choose Double Strollers
When choosing a double stroller for your family, consider several factors. The factors to consider are your budget, lifestyle, purpose, and the child’s age. For twins, getting a double stroller is an obvious choice, but they are also convenient when toting around a toddler and a baby simultaneously.
It is essential to consider transporting the double stroller for your family travels. Transportability means knowing the weight, how they fold, and maneuverability. The other options for double strollers are double umbrellas and tri-fold doubles.
The first travel-friendly option is the ideal type to bring when traveling: Umbrella-Style Double Strollers. These double umbrellas easily fold, are lightweight, and are very compact. These can be gate-checked on most airplanes and meet Disney-size requirements. However, a downside to double umbrellas is the less storage space and smaller canopies. Also, because of the separated handles of this style, you will need both hands to push the stroller.
Another option is the Tri-Fold strollers. These are a newer type of strollers, and they fold into thirds, compared to the others that fold in half. It is inherently ideal for travel because it is lightweight and compact when folded. However, it does not fold quite as compact as umbrella strollers. But the trifold has better features like a large stroller basket and larger canopies.
What to Look for When Choosing Double Strollers
Three types of double strollers are available: tandem, side-by-side, and convertible. Depending on your needs, you can identify the best type for your family.
The most popular type is the side-by-side since both children can interact in this position, and the fully reclinable seats are more comfortable for sleeping children. A large basket for storage is underneath, and pushing with one hand is also possible.
Look for the adjustable rear seat because it is easier for taller children. Also, these side-by-side strollers can accommodate children until they turn three.
If you need a narrower stroller, the tandem stroller is your best option. Also called inline strollers, the seats are single file, with one seat in front of the other. One advantage of choosing an inline stroller is its maneuverability. Compared to side-by-side strollers, tandem strollers easily fit through narrow aisles and doorways.
Finally, a convertible type is the best way to go for a stroller that grows with your family. Initially, you can purchase it with one seat, and then you can add a second seat, a stroller board, or other accessories. However, the convertible stroller is an option pricier than traditional double strollers due to its adaptability. And while all convertibles can accommodate two kids or more, not all convertibles can be used for twins.
Travel Tips for Parents with Double Strollers
If you are ready to travel with two kids in double strollers, here are tips to help you on your flight and when you land:
- Book Kidmoto. It is stressful enough to have a lot on your hands — literally! Bringing double strollers is necessary, but fortunately, you can ditch the car seats. Do not worry, though, even without car seats at hand. By booking a Kidmoto car service with car seats, you have a safe ride to bring you from the airport to your destination. Plus, you get to skip the long lines at the airport taxi stand, plus reserving a ride is so easy through the Kidmoto App.
- Know your airline’s restrictions. Since different airlines have different rules, best to call your airline to ask ahead if you can bring in your double strollers. More often than not, double strollers can be gate-checked.
- Use a stroller bag to protect your double strollers. Since most strollers are gate-checked, best to place them inside a stroller bag to protect it and keep it clean for when your child uses it. Also, you will want to make sure that you got your stroller tagged.
- Bring a lightweight double stroller that easily folds with only one hand. Remember that you will be managing two little children and your carry-on. Choosing the right double stroller is essential to making your life easier when flying.
Article & blog posts by Karen
Originally published at https://kidmoto.taxi on May 22, 2022.